Tribute to Community STARs
April 10, 2015 | Noon | Eckburg Auditorium
This event, held each spring, recognizes unsung heroes in our community. The first Tribute to Community STARs event was held in April 2007 and began a tradition of celebrating the achievements and contributions attained by the outstanding men and women in our community. Often times, we don’t take the opportunity to say thank you to others for a job well done or to recognize the impact one has made in the community. The Savannah Technical College Foundation honors these individuals that make a difference! Your gifts, through sponsorships, tickets and silent auction purchases, support Savannah Technical College’s mission of workforce development in our region.
12th Annual Opportunity Gala honoring Health Sciences
December 4, 2015 | 7 pm | Eckburg Auditorium
Founded in 1929 as The Opportunity School, this annual signature event began with our 75th anniversary year in 2004. From the very beginning, this institution has been creating opportunities through technical education. The Foundation felt it was only fitting to honor those who have devoted their lives to the same undertaking. The Opportunity Gala, held the first Friday in December of each year, honors deserving civic leaders for a lifetime of service in creating and enhancing opportunities for others to succeed. They have demonstrated a commitment to creating opportunities for Georgians both locally and at the state level. Past recipients include: Former Governor Zell Miller, Arnold Tenenbaum, Judge Griffin Bell, Tom Coleman, Dick Eckburg, Arthur M. Gignilliat, Jr., Bob and Alice Jepson, Howard Morrison and Stratton Leopold.
- In 2014, we honored Heritage Tourism and Culinary Arts – two important contributors to the fabric and quality of life in coastal Georgia. The area’s rich history and its commitment to preservation define Savannah as does the thriving tourism industry. As a destination city, guests from around the world visit Savannah to explore our many museums and historic sites, walk the cobblestone streets, take in the sights and sounds, and enjoy the diverse culinary scene. Savannah Technical College takes its commitment to workforce development in these sectors very seriously, operating the only hands-on public Historic Preservation program in the southeast, with connections to artisans around the world and providing hospitality and culinary professionals trained in one of the country’s top programs, led by the 2014 American Culinary Federation National Chef Educator Chef Jean Vendeville. See event photo gallery.
- In 2013, we honored Advanced Manufacturing, celebrating our industry partners for their commitment to creating opportunities for success. The evening featured Scrap Metal Sculptures handcrafted by STC welding students. See event photo galleries featuring food preparation and service by students in the College’s award-winning Culinary Arts program.
- 2012 honoring Stratton Leopold See photos of the Leopold’s Ice Cream sign renovation featuring work by students in the nationally-recognized Historic Preservation and Restoration program.
- 2011 honoring Howard Morrison including photos of the handmade sugar sculpture of the Morrison Family crest.
- 2010 honoring Bob and Alice Jepson
- 2009 honoring Arthur Gignilliatt
- 2008 honoring Dick Eckburg