You are encouraged to apply for all federal and state grant and scholarship aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form before considering loan options.
Savannah Technical College does not offer Federal Direct Stafford Student Loan and Private Education Loan programs.
As an alternative, we work with Georgia Student Finance Authority to offer the State funded Georgia Student Access Loan (SAL) for short-term and two-year programs of study.
For more information on the Georgia State funded Georgia Student Access Loan – Apply Now! Student Access Loan is first-come, first-serve. You must be a Georgia resident, enrolled in at least six credit hours, and meeting satisfactory academic progress to be eligible.
Georgia Student Finance Authority (GSFA) offers the Student Access Loan Program (SAL) for eligible students attending an eligible Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) in Georgia. The SAL is a 1 percent fixed rate loan, designed to assist undergraduate and technical college students who have a gap in meeting their educational costs.
In addition to the eligibility criteria of the SAL Program, Eligible Postsecondary Institutions have the authority to implement institutional policies to decline eligibility of the student for SAL. Therefore, Effective Fall 2017 Savannah Technical reserve the right to decline eligibility of a student for SAL, or reduce the requested loan amount, for one of the following, but not limited to:
- Previous academic history including poor academic performance.
- Loans will not be disbursed to students that are on financial aid warning.
- Loans will not be certified for students who have not matriculated at least one term, have not completed program coursework beyond any required learning support and have a GPA of less than 2.5 in their current program of study.
- Loans will not be certified for students that are provisionally admitted.
- Unusual enrollment history (UEH).
- Total Amount of previous debt.
- Direct costs such as tuition fees, books, etc.
For Students Attending TCSG Postsecondary Institution
- The minimum loan amount is $300.
- The maximum term loan amount is $1,500.
- The maximum loan limit is $3,000 per year and up to a maximum of $12,000 over a college lifetime.
Georgia Student Finance Authority Loan Help Available
At Savannah Technical College, we understand that student loans can be intimidating and sometimes confusing. That is why we have partnered with Inceptia. They will provide you with free assistance in understanding information, tools and resources available on your obligations for the Student Access Loan you have received from the Georgia Student Finance Authority. Inceptia may be calling to help you with next steps in your repayment journey so be sure to answer the call so you can be counseled.
Their friendly counselors are there to help you every step of the way. For instance, if you fall behind on your KIT (Keep In Touch) payment, they can guide you where to go to get back on track. While you are in your grace period, they might reach out to you to answer questions you may have on your repayment options. If you become delinquent on your loans, they may also be giving you a call. They will not be collecting money from you but can navigate you to the GSFA pathway2gsfa web portal or perhaps auto- debit is right for you.
The FY 2018 Three Year Individual School Cohort Default Rate is 35.06%.