How to Apply for Financial Aid
To apply for Federal and State financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form each year. The FAFSA covers your enrollment for fall, spring, and summer semesters. Most students and parents complete the FAFSA after filing their federal taxes each year. Check out the Federal Student Aid website where you can view and download YouTube videos to learn more about financial aid and how to apply.
Follow these easy steps to apply for Federal and State financial aid:
- Log on to www.pin.ed.gov.
- Request a Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN#). This is a one-time requirement. Protect your Federal Student Aid PIN# as you would your ATM or SSN.
- You will need the PIN# to electronically sign and complete your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, at least one parent will also need a PIN# to electronically sign and provide information on the FAFSA form.
- *Effective Spring 2015 – the Department of Education-Federal Student Aid will implement a user id/password system where you will register by creating a user account and establishing your own user ID and password. More information to follow as it is released.
- Log on to www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Once you have your PIN#, you are ready to complete the FAFSA form.
- Helpful Tips for Completing the FAFSA
- Use your legal name as it appears with the Social Security Administration
- Make sure your social security number and date of birth are accurate.Provide a current address, phone, and email address.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically transfer your federal tax information from the IRS to the FAFSA application. This will reduce errors.
- Include Savannah Technical College School Code: 005618.
- You (and if dependent, a parent) must electronically sign the FAFSA using your PIN#.
- Make sure you follow through and submit the application.
- The FAFSA processor will send you a confirmation email once the FAFSA is received and processed. The FAFSA processor will also send Savannah Tech your FAFSA results electronically within 5-7 business days.
- Once your FAFSA results are received by the school, the Financial Aid Office will determine your eligibility for Federal and State financial aid. An Award Notification email will be sent to your STC email address and include instructions on how to access your award information. A Shopping Sheet is issued each time an award is made or adjusted.