Required Verification Documentation
The easiest way to complete the verification process and provide proof of income is to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) – If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you filed your FAFSA, you may still do so. The IRS DRT speeds up the verification process and is the preferred method for verification. If you did not or cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must submit an IRS Federal Tax Return Transcript. Click to learn how to use the IRS DRT.
- Federal Tax Return Transcripts – Independent students and spouses, as well as dependent students and parents must provide proof of income. Click to learn how to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Non-Tax Filers – If you, your spouse, or parent(s) worked but did not file a prior year tax return and was not required to file a tax return, you must complete a Nontax Filer’s form and provide copies of all W-2’s. You must also include documentation of any untaxed income from other sources (such as social security benefits, SSI, non-taxed portions of pensions, etc). Click if you did not file taxes.
- Additional Documentation may include, and is not limited to:
- proof of household size
- proof of child support paid
- proof of receipt of SNAP benefits, social security benefits, or other untaxed pensions or income
- proof of low or no income
- notarized statement of educational purpose
- proof high school diploma or GED received