Welcome to Savannah Technical College’s General Studies Department
General Studies is the academic support division for the College’s academic and occupational programs. It offers general education core courses for all credit programs and provides academic support in the following areas:
- General Education Core – More than 200 general education courses are offered on campus and online. The Core provides students with a well rounded academic foundation and is in keeping with accreditation requirements for transfer to four-year degree programs colleges and universities in Georgia and beyond. Recently, the Technical College System of Georgia signed an articulation agreement that guarantees transferability of ten core classes to any University System of Georgia institution, making it easier for students who start at Savannah Technical College to transfer credits to area universities.
- Technical Specialist - The Technical Communications Specialist Technical Certificate of Credit consists of 36 credit hours of instruction and is designed to prepare students for jobs that require written and oral communication skills along with the technical proficiency to translate technical information to various audiences. The program serves as a stand-alone career path or as a supplemental area of expertise taken in concert with another program of study.
- Testing Center – offers Compass placement testing for new students; diagnostic testing for learning support students; and, learning support exit exams for students transitioning to diploma or degree courses.
- Learning Enrichment Center – CRLA certified tutors provide tutoring in learning support and general education courses.
- Language Support – Credited program that offers English as Second Language (ESL) and Reading as Second Language (RSL) courses is recognized throughout the state.