Savannah Technical College earns FAA approval for Airframe and Powerplant Training
Today, Savannah Technical College was granted Federal Aviation Administration approval to teach the Aviation Maintenance Technology program, becoming the eighth college in the state and the only one in Coastal Georgia authorized to offer this training.
“This long-awaited announcement means that Savannah Technical College can now offer the full range of aviation training to meet the workforce demands in one of the region’s critical industries,” said College President Dr. Kathy Love. “The Aviation Training Center, dedicated last summer, was designed and built in anticipation of this important step.”
Beginning this summer, the College will offer five additional credentials including:
- Aviation Maintenance Technology Associate of Applied Science Degree
- Aviation Maintenance Technology Diploma
- Aviation Maintenance Technician Certificate
- Aviation Maintenance Technician – Powerplant Certificate
- Aviation Maintenance Technician – Airframe Certificate
Classes will begin this summer and will be structured in cohorts of 24 students, the maximum allowed by the FAA based on the requirement of an 8:1 ratio of students and specialized equipment. The College anticipates the first cohort to be filled by the start of the fall term.
“We have people taking core classes now who have expressed an interest in the program”, says Academic Vice President Dr. Ken Boyd. “We will begin contacting them immediately to gauge their interest and readiness to start the program.”
These new credentials are added to those currently offered including Aircraft Structural Diploma and Certificate programs in Aircraft Assembly, Aircraft Upholstery and Trim and Luxury Craft Cabinetmaking.
All instruction will be delivered in the state-of-the-art Aviation Training Center at the College’s Crossroads Campus. Tal Loos serves as Dean of Aviation, Robert Strub is Department Head and Michael Skinner is an instructor in the department. For information about Aviation programs at Savannah Technical College, call 912.443.4094 or visit www.savannahtech.edu/AviationTechnology
STC Aviation Fast Facts:
- Savannah Technical College has graduated 549 students prepared for careers in aviation, with close to 90% of them gaining employment locally.
- The 29,152 square-foot Aviation Training Center includes a hangar, four training labs and five classrooms with a tarmac.
- 5,000-sq.-ft. hangar includes hoist, portable paint booth, ground support equipment, electro tug ground power unit and engine stands.
- The College owns three fully-functional planes that are used for instructional purposes and are housed at the Aviation Training Center.
Savannah Technical College serves Coastal Georgia with quality, market-driven technical education with campus locations in Chatham, Effingham and Liberty Counties. Serving more than 10,000 credit and non-credit students annually, Savannah Tech offers nearly 150 different instructional programs in Aviation Technology, Business and Professional Services, Industrial Technology, and Health Sciences in addition to Adult Education classes, industry-specific training and continuing education. The College serves as an economic and community development partner for the region, offering corporate and customized training and assessment programs for business and industry.
Savannah Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas and technical certificates of credit. Questions about the accreditation of Savannah Technical College may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).