Savannah Tech is recognized for excellence at 2023 SkillsUSA Georgia Conference
ATLANTA, Ga. – Savannah Technical College was recognized for excellence at the Georgia 2023 SkillsUSA Post-secondary State Conference.
Students won medals in 14 competitions: seven gold, four silver, and three bronze. Photos of 2023 SkillsUSA state medalists and honorees may be found on STC’s Facebook page.
SkillsUSA is a national career and technical student organization/competition that annually serves more than 395,000 high school, college and post-secondary students–and their instructors–in technical, skilled and service-occupation instructional programs.
The College also earned a Chapter of Excellence Quality Chapter designation and Chapter of Distinction – Gold Level Award.
More than 35 students participated in 20 competitions. Seven individuals/teams won gold and will compete in the national SkillsUSA leadership and skills competition in Atlanta this June:
- The Community Service team won gold for the third year in a row with teammates: Corina Stewart, Ashleigh Beth Blevins, Lourane Hernandez-Phipps;
- The Occupational Health and Safety (OSHA) team won gold for the third year in a row with Hunter Mathews, Gabrielle Cantanese, Beverly Newman;
- The Promotional Bulletin Board team won gold for the second year in a row with Early Childhood Care & Education teammates: Joyce Carter, Janine Lowery, and Chelsea Brown;
- Culinary Arts student Sohan Bolle won gold with the Culinary Arts competition;
- Air Conditioning student James Kiene won gold for the Sheet Metal competition;
- Automotive student Erin Smith won gold for Mobile Electronics; and
- Savannah Film Academy students Lore Carter and Dalton Kleman won gold for the TV Production competition.
STC teams or individuals won silver medals in four competitions:
- Air Conditioning student Heath Strickland won silver for HVAC;
- Automotive student Marc Livingston won silver for Automotive Service;
- Early Childhood Care & Education student Chelsea Fleming won silver in the Early Childhood Education; and
- Early Childhood Care & Education student Akala Gordon won silver for Customer Service.
Three teams or individuals won bronze:
- Baking & Pastry Arts student Gabriela Ramirez won bronze for Baking & Pastry Arts;
- Cosmetology student Mishala Bell won bronze for Nail Care; and
- Savannah Film Academy students Angela Rigor and Kenneth Butler, II, won bronze for Digital Cinema.
#2335 | March 27, 2023
Savannah Technical College serves Coastal Georgia with quality, market-driven technical education with campus locations in Chatham, Effingham and Liberty Counties. Serving more than 10,000 credit and non-credit students annually, Savannah Tech offers nearly 150 different instructional programs in Aviation Technology, Business and Professional Services, Industrial Technology, and Health Sciences in addition to Adult Education classes, industry-specific training and continuing education. The College serves as an economic and community development partner for the region, offering corporate and customized training and assessment programs for business and industry.
Savannah Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas and technical certificates of credit. Questions about the accreditation of Savannah Technical College may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).