IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to expedite the verification process by following these steps:
- Log in at studentaid.gov to “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS’”
- On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
Tax information electronically filed within the last 2 weeks or submitted by mail within the last 8 weeks may not be available for retrieval.
It is important to note that you will not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return
- Your marital status changes after December 31 of prior year
- You filed an amended return (See Federal Tax Return Transcript)
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- You filed a foreign tax return – Submit a signed copy of your return to the financial aid office.