Competitive Admissions Health Science Programs
Admission to Savannah Technical College and the competitive selection process are two distinct processes (College admissions and selection through competitive program admissions); students are responsible for understanding both. Please meet with the health sciences academic advisor or desired program department head to determine if you meet the program eligibility requirements to apply.
STEP 1: COLLEGE ADMISSIONS PROCESS
To be accepted into the College and qualify for selection, students must complete all STC admissions requirements: please refer to the STC catalog for a full list of admissions requirements or visit “How to Apply“
- Select “Health Care Assistant” if intending to apply for Dental Assisting, Medical Assisting, and Practical Nursing
- Select “Interdisciplinary Studies” if intending to apply Dental Hygiene and Surgical Tech
STEP 2: COMPETITIVE HEALTH SCIENCE PROGRAMS ADMISSION PROCESS
Acceptance into the College does not guarantee admission into a desired health science program. The competitive admission/selection process is a separate process that must be completed to be considered for entry into the program major. To be considered for a seat in a competitive health science program, a student must:
- Successfully complete all required courses.
- Take the required entrance test.
- Submit a Competitive Admissions Health Science Programs application online.
- Pay the $25 Competitive Application Fee at the college’s campus shop (Savannah, Effingham, Liberty campuses) and submit a copy/photo of your payment receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once selections are made, all applicants will be notified by email of their acceptance or denial for admission into a competitive program approximately 4 – 6 weeks after the application deadline.
All steps above must be completed before the competitive program application deadline. Applicants must use an STC email to submit a competitive admissions application. Applications for competitive admissions programs are only live during the following schedule:
SPRING 2024 PROGRAM START
- Practical Nursing [Liberty (day only), Savannah (day/night)] (9/1/23-11/10/23)
FALL 2024 PROGRAM START
- Dental Assisting (4/1/24 – 6/10/24)
- Dental Hygiene (11/04/23 – 5/5/24) paper applications only, pick up in Rm 2161
- Medical Assisting (4/1/24 – 6/10/24)
- Surgical Technology (4/1/24 – 6/10/24)
COMPETIVE ADMISSIONS HEALTH SCIENCE PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Dental Assisting Admissions Information (Fall 2024)
- Dental Hygiene Admissions Information (Fall 2024)
- Medical Assisting Admissions Information (Fall 2024)
- Practical Nursing Admissions Information (Spring 2024)
- Surgical Technology Admissions Information (Fall 2024)
Students entering programs that require a clinical component must comply with program and clinical site requirements including proof of current immunizations including, but not limited to the COVID-19 vaccine at the student’s expense; and background checks and drug screenings at the student’s expense.
Students Residential Criteria for Competitive Admissions programs: The following residential criteria is established for admission into programs that admit students on competitive basis.
- In accordance with TCSG Procedure 6.6.1p Student Tuition and Fees, Out-of-State Students shall be enrolled in the College on a space available basis and shall not displace any Georgia Student desiring to enroll in the College.
- Military-affiliated students who are deemed eligible for HOPE grant or scholarship per Georgia Student Finance Commission regulations will not be considered Out-of-State Students for purposes of competitive program admission.
- Out-of-State students who apply for competitive admissions programs shall be considered for admission on a space available basis. They shall not displace any student with a Georgia domicile who meets minimum requirements for admission to the program.
- Non-Citizen students who apply for competitive admissions programs shall be considered for admission on a space available basis. They shall not displace any student with a Georgia domicile. Eligible Non-Citizen or Out-of-State student who meets minimum requirements for admission to the program.
NOTE: Applicants must sign in with their STC student email to complete the application form (see Step 1 College Admissions Process)