International Student Transportation
One way to get around Savannah is to use public transportation. It is cheaper to use public transportation than to own and operate a vehicle. The bus system will take you almost everywhere in the Savannah metropolitan area. Information on schedules and routes can be obtained by calling 912-233-5767 or by visiting their website at www.catchacat.org. When you call an operator can tell you the quickest and most convenient route.
If you have enough money and stay in the US for a long time, you may need to consider buying a car. Before you purchase a vehicle take into account the following:
- Purchasing a vehicle-Buying a used car is less expensive than buying a new car. The important thing is to buy a car that is safe and in good working condition. Before buying a used car take it to a mechanic and let them check out the condition of the car. When you buy a car the “certificate of ownership or title” must be transferred to you from the previous owner, and you must register it at the Chatham County Tag Office located on 1145 Eisenhower, Savannah, GA. ( http://tax.chathamcounty.org/Tag-Offices) To obtain a Georgia license plate, you will need to bring the following to the county tag office: current registration, title of ownership, driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
- U.S. driver’s license-Generally speaking; a state-issued driver’s license is the most widely used form of identification in the U.S. because it contains your photo, a physical address and a unique, state-issued identification number. The driver’s license number is linked to law enforcement agencies, so it also gives you a greater sense of security in the case of emergency.
- Insurance –To drive a car in GA, or anywhere else in the United States, you must have liability automobile insurance. It is illegal to drive without insurance coverage. There are two basic types of insurance for automobiles: liability and collision.
- Liability Insurance-If you have an accident, and it is your fault, liability insurance pays for damage to the other cars, and pays for medical expenses for anyone injured. Liability insurance is much less expensive than collision insurance. You must have liability insurance.
- Collision Coverage-Collision insurance pays for damage to your car, even if the accident is your own fault. Collision coverage is not required.