Paralegals, also called legal assistants, work closely with attorneys, judges, prosecutors, or public defenders and perform a wide range of professional tasks, such as legal research, writing, interviewing, document preparation, and office management. Paralegals work in law firms, business corporations, and government agencies. They must be able to document and present their findings and opinions to their supervising attorney. They need to understand legal terminology and have good research and investigative skills. Familiarity with the operation and applications of computers in legal research and litigation support also is important. Paralegals should stay informed of new developments in the laws that affect their area of practice.
Earn an associate degree in Paralegal Studies virtually* at Savannah Technical College. All classes are available online offering students the convenience and flexibility to successfully complete the program virtually. *Students are encouraged to do their internship opportunity in their local area, which must be approved by the Paralegal Studies department head.
Legal Administrative Assistant (NEW TCC in 2023): Combine Business Technology and Paralegal courses to prepare student for immediate employment as entry-level office assistants in law offices and government and corporate legal departments. The 30 credit hour program provides students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for success in legal offices as receptionists and as office assistants and prepares students in the areas of legal office etiquette, word processing, English grammar, and legal document preparation. Students who complete the certificate should acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully sit for the Professional Legal Secretary certification exam.
Former Paralegal Studies Dept. Head, Debra Geiger, Esq. was named Savannah Tech’s Rick Perkins Instructor of the Year 2016. She was president for the American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE) in 2019. In 2021, she was named STC’s Dean for Business & Professional Services.
Paralegal student Ruth Ann Dutton was named the 2015 GOAL student of the year for Savannah Tech.
Paralegal Studies Advisory Council
- Trish Murphy, Chair – Judicial Hearing Officer, Chatham County Superior Court
- Donna Gilliland, Immediate Past Chair – Advanced Certified Paralegal, Oliver Maner, LLP
- Roxanne Chapman, Vice-Chair – Regional Account Manager, Oracle Elevators, STC Paralegal Studies graduate
- Tammy Phillips, Secretary – Director of Risk Management, St. Joseph’s/Candler Health System
- Rachael Currie, Litigation Paralegal, Lasky Cooper Law
- Helen Fitzgerald, Paralegal/Legal Recruiter, Trace Staffing
- Les Foreman, Paralegal, Mediation Center of the Coastal Empire, STC Paralegal Studies graduate
- Linda Mobley, Project Manager, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Korinne Morris, Advanced Certified Paralegal, Harris Lowry Manton, LLP
- Lucy Rau, Paralegal, Mediation Center of the Coastal Empire
- Nichol Rogers, Certified Paralegal, Dozier Law Firm, STC Paralegal Studies graduate