1. How much does the Evening & Weekend A & P Test Prep Course cost?
- A&P Rating (Full 3 Week Class) $950- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- Airframe & General Instruction Only- $650- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- Powerplant & General Instruction Only- $650- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- Airframe Instruction only- $345- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- Powerplant Instruction Only- $345- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- General Instruction Only- $345- covers tuition & online prepware access only
- Hands-On Practice Only- $345
2. What payment options do you accept?
We accept credit cards, debit cards, and money orders.
- If paying by credit/debit card, you can complete the registration form and select the “register for course” option. When you select this option, our representatives will:
- Prepare an invoice based on your course selection. Send you an email with summary details of your order, and access to conveniently pay online and confirm your seat in the course.
- If paying by money order, please make it payable to “Savannah Technical College”. Payment must be received no later than 3 weeks prior to the start of the class. Seats are limited and are only confirmed once payment has been received.
3. How do I register for the Prep course?
You can register by visiting www.savannahtech.edu/PCE-AP and checking the “register” button. Or you can call The Continuing Education office at 912-443-3012 to provide your payment information. You must have your 8610-2 forms signed by the Flight Standards District Office in order to complete your registration.
4. What will be covered in this class?
This class will review various topical areas from the Federal Administration Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook as well as provide instruction for approaching the written tests and the oral & practical examinations to acquire a General Rating, Airframe Rating, and Powerplant Rating.
5. Do I need to have my 8610-2 Forms signed off to take the test prep course?
Yes, one of the requirements to take this course is that you need to have your 8610-2 Forms signed off by the Flight Standards District Office.
6. Are the tests taken at the Crossroads Campus?
Yes, if you would like to test, the written tests are provided in the Savannah Technical College Testing Center at the Crossroads Technology Campus. We are located at 190 Crossroads Parkway, Savannah, GA 31407, near the airport.
7. Does the cost of the class include the cost of the tests?
No, the costs of the tests are not included.
Will the practice test questions in my books or in Prepware be the same as the actual FAA written exam?
“The FAA Exams are “closed tests” which means the exact database of questions is not available to the public. The question and answer choices in Prepware are derived from history and experience with the FAA testing process. You might see similar although not identical questions on your official FAA exam. Answer stems may be rearranged from the A, B, C order you see in Prepware. Therefore, be careful to fully understand the intent of each question and corresponding answer while studying, rather than memorize the A, B, C answer. You may be asked a question that has unfamiliar wording; studying and understanding the information will give you the tools to answer all types of questions with confidence.” (Source- online.prepware.com)
How much does it cost to take the written tests and oral exams and who do I pay with?
Each written test’s cost is $165. If you are sitting for all 3 tests, you will pay $495. Our office has coordinated to have the written exams provided at 6pm each Thursday during your class. If you choose not to sit during this time, you will be responsible for contact the test center to arrange further testing at 912-443-4148.
The Oral and Practical Examination is $200 per rating or $600 in total. It can only be scheduled with Savannah Technical College’s Tal Loos, Designated Maintenance Examiner (DME), after passing the corresponding written tests. (Note: You can begin O&P testing if you’ve passed the General and Airframe written exams or General & Powerplant written exams)
DME Loos can be reached at 912-443-4140, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once scheduled, you can provide payment with the Continuing Education Department at 912-443-3012.
What time and date is the written test offered?
Each Thursday during the course has been designated as an optional testing day. The test is offered at 6pm at the Crossroads Technology Campus and administered by Savannah Technical College Testing Center. The address is 190 Crossroads Parkway, Savannah, GA 31407. Please allot 3 hours for your registration, payment, and testing.
Do I need to be approved to take the tests?
Yes, in order to take the tests to receive your General, Airframe & Powerplant Ratings, the Federal Aviation Administration must sign off on your 8610-2s. These are forms that verify you meet the experience needed to receive either the single rating or both the A&P rating. Please click the following link to view and print the form: FAA 8610-2 Form
Contact the Flight Standards District Office(FSDO) at:
Atlanta 107 Charles W. Grant Parkway
Atlanta, Ga 30354 | (404) 474-5100
Additional FSDO Locations
What if I don’t pass the test on the first try?
You will have to repay the $165 for the written exam. You must wait 30 days to retake the exam, unless you provide a letter to the Examiner stating that you have received additional training in the areas in which you failed.
Where can I find the FAA Knowledge Test Guide? Written Test sample questions? FAA Practical Standards?
Please click the following links: FAA Knowledge Test Guide, FAA Sample Questions, FAA Practical Standards
** Once payment is received, you will receive access to the A&P Prepware, which provides a larger pool of test questions to practice from. The book also provides a link to more prep material.
What books are required for this course and where can I find them?
Instruction for the course will be based out of the FAA 8083 and FAA 8081.
Click the titles below to download:
Written Test Prep
Participants in the course will also receive access to ASA Online Prepware once your payment is received.
Supplemental Resources: Participants of past courses have also purchased the ASA Fast Track 2017 Test Guides for Aviation, Powerplant, and General. The questions in the guides are similar to the questions you will have access to on the Online Prepware. Please note, this text is not required and will not be covered during the course at any time.