Health Care Assistant
The Health Care Assistant Technical Certificate of Credit (TCC) is a program that provides academic foundations at the diploma level in communications, mathematics, and human relations, as well as technical fundamentals. Program graduates are trained in the underlying fundamentals of health care delivery and are well prepared for employment and subsequent upward mobility into one of many areas of specialization:
- Basic Dental Assisting: This specialization tracks to the Dental Assisting Diploma program, which has additional requirements for acceptance.
- Central Sterile Processing: Provides entry-level training, which prepares graduates to function in the sterile supply processing and distribution areas of healthcare facilities. Together with practical experiences, students are eligible to sit for the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM) certification exam.
- Medical Coding/Insurance Data Entry Specialist: Offers the students an introduction to medical coding. This TCC prepares individuals for careers in medical offices and hospitals. It provides students with basic anatomy, medical terms, introduction to diseases, computer skills and entry level skills for CPT-4 Coding and ICD-9 CM coding.
- Medical Front Office: Provides students to secure an entry-level position as a medical administrative assistant in a physician’s office, hospital, clinic, or other related areas.
- Nurse Aide: Prepares students for patient care in general medical and surgical hospitals, nursing care facilities, community care facilities for the elderly, and home health care services. Students who successfully complete the TCC may be eligible to sit for the National Nurse Aide Assessment program (NNAAP), which determines competency to become enrolled in the state nurse aide registry.
- Patient Care Technician: Builds upon the skills mastered in the Nurse Aide Specialization and includes blood drawing techniques, EKG measurement, basic wound care, basic respiratory care, colostomy care, and bladder catheter insertion.
- Phlebotomy: Trains technicians to work in concert with clinical laboratory personnel and other healthcare providers in hospitals or other healthcare facilities.
This program is part of the competitive admission process for Practical Nursing (LPN), Medical Assisting and Dental Assisting.
Please see your advisor or log into your Navigate student account to register for this space-limited class.