Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on the FAFSA - the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The U.S. Department of Education selects students for the verification process. Verification selection can be random or because your FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated or inconsistent. In addition to the applications selected by the Department of Education, Savannah Technical College (STC) may select others if we find conflicting information. When selected for verification, STC is required by federal regulations to ask for additional documentation to confirm the information on your FAFSA is accurate.
If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you filed your 2012-13 FAFSA, you may still do so by following these instructions:
Login at fafsa.gov to “Make FAFSA Corrections”
On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS’”
On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return
- Your marital status changes after December 31, 2011
- You filed an amended return (See Tax Transcript below)
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- You filed a foreign tax return - Submit a signed copy of your return to the financial aid office.
Note: Tax information electronically filed within the last 2 weeks or submitted by mail within the last 8 weeks may not be available for retrieval.
IRS Tax Transcript
The fastest method to obtain a tax transcript is to visit the nearest local IRS Office. The Savannah IRS Office is now located at #9 Park of Commerce Blvd., Savannah, GA 31405, or
Request one electronically on the IRS website at www.irs.gov
In the Tools section of the homepage click “Order a Return or Account Transcript”
Under Choice 3, click “Go get your transcript”
Then select "Return Transcript" or
Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to request a Tax Transcript for 2011, or
You may file Form 4506T-EZ.
If you filed an Amended Return:
Submit both an IRS Tax "Return Transcript" and an IRS Tax "Account Transcript," OR
Submit the Record of Account, (using IRS Form 4506-T ), which could take 30 days
- Federal Pell Grant Recipients: The deadline is 120 days from your last date of enrollment, or August 31, or whichever comes first. This includes making any necessary corrections to the FAFSA, submitting those corrections to the federal processor, and receiving confirmation in return.
Federal Loan Applicants:
Savannah Tech requires that verification be completed before determining eligibility for student loans.
- We strongly recomment that you submit ALL documents within 14 days of receipt of the verification notice.
- Remember to make photcopies for your records.
- Print your name and 9-digit STC ID number on each page of the documents that you submit.
- If the data reported on your FAFSA is confirmed, the Financial Aid Office can determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will send an Award Notification to your Savannah Tech student email.
- If we find differences between the data reported on your FAFSA and the information that you submitted to us, we may make corrections to your FAFSA. You can monitor your FAFSA verification status through your BANNER Web student access.
REMEMBER: Include your student ID number on your tax transcript before you submit it to our office.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENT NOTE:
If you are applying for aid at other schools, please make a copy of your tax transcript for your records before you submit to us. We will not keep paper copies of any documents and the IRS will currently only accommodate one request.
The Verification Deadline
Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility. If you are relying on financial aid to pay your tuition and fees, you must complete the verification process prior to enrollment.
Savannah Technical College requires that verification be completed before disbursing aid for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, and Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans.
For the 2012-2013 academic year, you are strongly encouraged to submit all requested documentation by July 16, 2012 in order to receive a timely award with all possible funding. Delays in submitting your verification documentation will cause delays in the processing of your financial aid.
We will continue to process verification documentation in the order it is received. However, the verification review process can take up to 3 weeks to complete. Delays in the filing the FAFSA and submitting verification documentation will delay the processing of your financial aid. You may need to make arrangements to pay out of pocket until your financial aid is processed.
According to federal regulations, t he last date to submit verification documents is the last day of the term or your last day of enrollment in the academic year, whichever is earlier.
How to Avoid Verification Processing Delays
Submit all documents at the same time to the Office of Financial Aid:
|Savannah Technical College||Savannah Technical College||Savannah Technical College|
|5717 White Bluff Rd||100 Technology Dr||2890 Hwy 21 South|
|Savannah, GA 31405||Hinesville, GA 31313||
Rincon, GA 31326
|Fax #: 912.443.5705||Fax #: 912.408.3038||Fax #: 912.754.3801|
Expect Financial Aid Emails
We will send an email to your Savannah Tech email account to notify you if additional documentation is required. All financial aid communications are sent to your Savannah Tech email account. All document requests must be completed before any financial aid can be disbursed to your account.