Bistro Savoir Educatif – Master Class
Master Class & Wine Dinner with Chef Jean Vendeville
Join the American Culinary Federation’s 2014 Chef Educator of the Year – Chef Jean Vendeville – for a series of cooking demonstrations with wine dinners. Each month features a different theme with the same excellence Savannah Technical College Culinary instructors bring to the classroom for one of the top culinary U.S. culinary institutes. Cost for each class is $125. Seating is limited. Class runs 6-9PM in the Eckburg Auditorium (5717 White Bluff Road, Savannah, 31405 – parking in the back lot of the Savannah campus).
Proceeds from the master class series will benefit the Boiardi Culinary Exchange Scholarship to fund lodging/travel for an educational exchange for elite STC Culinary/Baking Pastry Arts students.
- Petits Biscuits Sales au Sesame: A thin crisp accented with salt and sesame seeds.
- Sacristain au Fromage: Puff pastry dough is sprinkled with gruyere cheese and then formed into a twist before being baked to perfection
- Tarte Flambee: Bread dough rolled out thinly and then covered thinly sliced onions and bacon
- Fougasse: Baked with rosemary, thyme, olive oil, and then topped with kalamata and green olives.
- Duck Rillettes: Duck legs braised in an aromatic stock, then shredded and mixed with Armagnac and spices and sealed into a serving dish with duck fat to make a delectable spread for a toasted baguette. Paired with Bergerac or Sauvignon Blanc
- Salade Landaise: A beautiful salad of frisse topped with duck, fried chicken livers, foie gras, and blanched white asparagus – drizzled with roasted pear champagne vinaigrette. Paired with Bordeaux St Emillion
- Cassoulet: A rich, slow-cooked casserole containing tender duck and white beans. Paired with Cahors.
- Gâteau Basque: Layers of a butter-sugar pastry dough with a filling of vanilla pastry cream and preserved cherries.
- Croustade aux Pommes: A crisp pastry with a lovely blend of apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Paired with a Muscat de Rivesaltes
10.12.17 – Join us for Bistro Savoir Interactif for a culinary adventure featuring chef-led hands-on cooking stations and wine pairings
Buy a ticket for the Bistro Savoir Interactif in partnership with 2017 Savannah Food & Wine Festival
- Specialty Breads
- Pear, Beet, Tomato, and Cheese Salad: A striking salad with roasted pears, beets, tomato and pecans topped with fresh goat cheese. Paired with Gewurztraminer
- Cornbread-stuffed Cornish hen with Corn Maque Choux: Cornish game hen filled with a scrumptious cornbread stuffing and served with a corn maque choux. Paired with Côtes du Rhône or Beaujolais.
- Parsnip and Leek Puree: A creamy puree of fresh parsnip and leek.
- Haricot Vert Amandine: A classical presentation of green beans topped with roasted almonds.
- Honey Glazed Carrots: Honey, butter, and brown sugar bring out the natural sweetness in these cooked baby carrots.
- Wild Mushroom Demi-Glace: An assortment of wild mushrooms, shallots, thyme, and garlic add wonderful flavor to this beautiful sauce.
- Tarte Tatin with Crème Anglaise: A pastry in which apples are caramelized in butter and sugar before the tart is baked. Served with a velvety vanilla Crème Anglaise sauce. Paired with Vouvray
Mark your calendar now for Bistro Savoir Educatif Spring 2018
- 02.07.18 – Italian dinner with Banfi Wines
- 03.21.18 – Grilling with Chef Gearry Caudell (and Chef Jean)
- 04.25.18 – Farm to Table
Boiardi Culinary Exchange Scholarship
The first group of students studied in France for four weeks in fall 2016. In March 2017, students from the Academy of Toulouse will study at the Culinary Institute of Savannah. Students are selected as finalists for the educational exchange based on grade point average and exceptional classroom performance in addition to a culinary competition and personal interviews. These students also take weekly French classes with STC Culinary Arts Department Head Chef Jean Vendeville.
Chef Jean Vendeville
Department Chair for Culinary Arts and Culinary Baking & Pastry Arts at Savannah Technical College, Chef Jean is also a certified specialist of wine and a member of the Society of Wine Educators. He has studied wine the past four years and holds level 2 and 3 with the Napa Valley Wine Academy. He’s working on being a master of Wine of France with the French Wine Scholar Guild.
Savannah Tech’s baking and pastry program that was developed by the College to teach the art of creating tasty baked goods, pastries, and confections, from traditional bread baking to beautiful showpieces. Students learn a variety of international and classical pastries and desserts using basic and advanced techniques, which meet industry quality standards. More than 70 students are currently enrolled in the baking and pastry program.
Under the direction of the American Culinary Federation’s 2014 Chef Educator of the Year Jean Vendeville, the College offers associate degrees in Culinary Arts along with Baking and Pastry. The Culinary Institute of Savannah has earned distinction as one of the top four culinary programs in the country according to the American Culinary Federation (ACF). Vendeville has assembled a top-notch team of faculty, who have each earned national ACF certification under his leadership. For more information about STC Culinary Arts visit: www.facebook.com/ChefJeanVendeville.