The History of Savannah Technical College
1929: The Opportunity School started through the sponsorship of the Savannah Chamber of Commerce. The original location was on Wright Square at Bull and State Streets in the building that would become the Wright Square Post Office.
1930: The school outgrew its first quarters and moved to the second and third floors above McCrory’s at Bull and Broughton Streets. Courses were offered in general continuing education, distributive education and shop for boys. At the close of the 1930-31 year, 466 students were enrolled.
1937: An Evening Trade Extension program started at the Savannah High and Cuyler Street schools and is later transferred to Beach High School.
1938: The school moved to the old Sunday School Building of t he Independent Presbyterian Church at Bull and Hull Streets. During World War II, in addition to the regular business education classes, war production and shop classes were offered at the Bay Street location.
1959: Chatham County voters approve a $750,000 Bond issue to match state construction funds for two area vocational-technical schools. In a joint venture between the Chatham County Board of Education and the State Board of Education, the school combined with the Harris Area Trade School to become the Savannah Area Vocational-Technical School.
1967: The Savannah Area Vocational-Technical School was officially dedicated to serve the five-county area of Chatham, Bryan, Effingham, Liberty, and Long counties.
1973: Plans were drawn up and the Savannah Chatham County Board of Education acquired 37.5 acres of surplus property from Hunter Army Airfield to construct a consolidated vocational-technical post secondary school.
1978: Ground breaking ceremonies were held.
1981: Construction was completed at an approximate cost of nine million dollars. Regular classes started for summer quarter and adult evening classes started that fall.
1984: The Savannah Tech Foundation and Advisory Council was created to raise money for scholarships, endowments and research grants. A 22,000 square foot building was renamed and dedicated the West Chatham Technology Center as a “Quick Start” Industrial Training Center to train employees for new and existing industries.
1989: Diploma programs for military personnel were established through the Army Education Center at Fort Stewart, Hinesville with 53 students.
1990: Fall Quarter, Savannah-Chatham County Board of Education and the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education approved an official name change to Savannah Technical Institute.
1991: The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) granted accreditation to award Associate Degrees and Diplomas.
1995: The office located at the Army Education Center at Fort Stewart closed, moving operations to the General Screven Way in Hinesville.
1997: Savannah Technical Institute came under the governance of the State Board of Technical and Adult Education on July 1, 1997, as the fifth largest of 33 technical institutes.
2000: On July 6, 2000 Governor Roy Barnes officially announced th e name change to Savannah Technical College. The mission continues to focus on contributing to the economic, educational, and community development of Bryan, Chatham, Effingham and Liberty counties by providing quality technical education, continuing education, customized business and industry training, and adult literacy education.
2002: Savannah Technical College was recognized as the third fastest-growing two-year college of its size in the country by Community College Week. Enrollment climbed to more than 3,500 students.
2003: An era of unparalleled growth continued as construction was completed on two new state of the art instructional facilities on the Savannah campus, the Crossroads Technology Campus opened in Savannah, and construction began on a new Liberty Campus in Hinesville.
2004: The Liberty Campus opened on Airport Road at Technology Drive in Hinesville. The Savannah Technical College Foundation honored former Governor Zell Miller with the first annual Opportunity Award.
2005: Savannah Technical College regional economic impact determined to be $87.5M annually; the College received Georgia Focus Recognition Award for organizational performance.
2006: New facilities open on the Savannah Campus – an expanded Campus Shop and new one-stop Student Success Center bring new services to students. Enrollment at Liberty Campus sets records; overall enrollment pushes 4,000. College earns re-accreditation through the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
2007: Crossroads Technology Campus opens eight new state-of-the-art wireless classrooms. 11,716 square foot Effingham Campus opens.
2009: Academic Commons opens on Savannah Campus adding 23 new classrooms, labs and faculty offices, marking the first building designed using green sustainable technology.
2010: Savannah Technical College named by Community College magazine as one of the top 25 fastest-growing 2-year colleges of its size in the country, placing 22 among colleges serving between 5,000 and 9,999 students.
2011: Student Enrichment Center completed on the Savannah Campus, funded in part through private gifts to the Savannah Technical College Foundation. The 19,312 sq ft building includes 12 classrooms, self-paced labs an d tutoring facilities.
- STC Department Head of Culinary Arts Jean-Yves Vendeville is awarded Technical College System of Georgia Instructor of the Year.
- Dental Hygiene Clinic opens at Savannah Campus. The new facility is a mix of renovated space (7,745 square feet) and new construction (6,407 square feet). It includes a clinical lab with 24 dental hygiene stations, four radiology rooms, a dental materials lab, two classrooms, specialized spaces for records, sterilization, and patient reception, as well as six faculty offices and an administrative area.
2013: Aviation Training Center at Crossroads Campus opens to offer programs include certificates and diplomas in aircraft structures manufacture and repair, luxury craft cabinetmaking, and aircraft electrical equipment repair and installation. The nearly 30,000-square-foot facility at STC’s Crossroads Campus has a 5,000-square-foot hangar, four labs designed and equipped for hands-on instruction and spacious classrooms.